Data Engineer Intern (m/f/x)
New Work SE – for a better working life
We believe in a world of work where people can find their true self and achieve their full potential. NEW WORK SE offers a wide range of brands, products and services for a better working life. This not only makes individuals more satisfied and happier, it also makes companies more successful.
Data Engineer Intern (m/w/x)
XING, a New Work SE subsidiary, is the leading online business network in German-speaking countries and supports its 16.5 million members in working in line with their way of life and individual preferences. Professionals from every industry connect with one another, look and apply for jobs, and seek inspiration about the latest trends in the world of work. Thanks to the broad news portfolio, XING members can keep their finger on the pulse and discuss the latest developments.
With a focus to bring value to our users, data is at the core of our products. Our Data Scientists and Data Engineers bring state-of-the-art algorithms into production, evaluate them in our A/B testing platform and create highly scalable solutions that serve millions of users. From every-day decision-making to advanced machine-learning based products, XING has invested over the years into its data technology footprint, making use of technologies such as Hadoop (e.g. Hive, Spark), Kafka, Cassandra, Elasticsearch, etc.
A challenging task
- Apply data engineering to deliver efficient tools for data collection and processing
- You collaborate actively with other teams in XING’s data environments
- You embrace learning new technologies
- Create and present ad-hoc analyses in a clear manner
- Participate in developing machine learning solutions, e.g. recommendation systems
- Extending and broadening your skills with help and mentoring of experienced teammates
A convincing background
- You study or have a degree in computer science or related fields and/or have acquired equivalent software engineering experience
- You have a good understanding of programming paradigms, OOP, data structures, git, etc. and can write standalone programs
- You have done course works and/or projects that demonstrate your proficiency in programming and/or data analysis
- You understand how relational databases work and can write SQL queries
- You have a positive mindset, team spirit and the social skills to work in a highly international and distributed setup
- You are eager to learn new languages and frameworks, improve your skillset and share your knowledge
- Some experience in the field of machine learning and /or big data is a plus
- You can proficiently communicate in English
An inspiring environment
- The chance to work on a large, highly distributed platform with over 16 million users.
- Varied tasks, uncomplicated interactions with your colleagues as well as many opportunities to bring in your own ideas await you.
- Innovation/hack weeks every few months where you can unleash your creativity and ideas.
- Annual conference allowances, regular trainings, meetups and brownbag lunches throughout the year, as well as the opportunity to speak at conferences - we'll support you where we can
- Health Insurance
- An Employee Assistance Program to help you with all kinds of personal topics, to ensure you have the support for a better working life
- 25 days of vacation per year + 2 days off (Christmas eve and New Year’s eve)
- A multicultural environment with employees from all over the world, who have various technology backgrounds
- Free breakfast, fruit, drinks, snacks and much more.
- English, German and Portuguese lessons.
- A mobile device for your private use (iPhone, iPad, Android, you choose!).
- Competitive salary.
We contribute into open source (https://github.com/xing) and let the world know what we are doing (https://devblog.xing.com) and organize public user groups and coding events. Check out our XING engineering blog at https://tech.xing.com/.
Your turn: If you think this position is right for you and that you can help us make XING big in Porto, we’d be delighted to talk to you. Simply apply below.
Not the right job for you? Don’t worry! You’re more than welcome to send us an unsolicited application!
If you have any questions please let us know!