System Engineer Databases (m/f/x)
- Full-time employee
XING provides advice and support to its more than 16 million members during the upheaval processes in the world of work. In an environment marked by a shortage of skilled workers, digitalization, and changes in values, XING helps its members achieve as harmonious a work/life balance as possible: For a better working life.
System Engineer Databases (m/w/x)
XING is the social network for business professionals with millions of members all over the world. Help us shape the future of work – for a better working life!
As an expanding social network, with a focus on bringing value to our users, data is at core of every XING products. Our System Engineers and Data Engineers work amongst other projects on bringing state-of-the-art technologies into production, maintaining the XING Platform and create highly scalable solutions that serve millions of users.
XING is looking to welcoming a “System Engineer Databases” to join our highly skilled and motivated Data Infrastructure Services team as part of the Site Operations Department. The team ensures effective performance of the entire Data & Database Infrastructure consisting of hundreds of MySQL, PostgreSQL & MongoDB clusters, Hadoop, Kafka & Cassandra environments.
A challenging task
- Ensure the availability and scalability of our database and big data systems
- Design, automate and implement highly available database environments as part of our on-prem infrastructure (MySQL, Galera Clusters, PostgreSQL, MongoDB)
- Lead efforts on performance tuning, scaling and overall improvement efforts in close cooperation with product, engineering, and architecture teams
- Use Chef and Ansible to automate testing and deployments of the environments, as well as anything else you might come across
- Provide consulting to our product and engineering teams on how to design and implement highly scalable database driven apps
- Track resource usage trends and take preventative action to maintain system health
- Participate in our on-call rotation
A convincing background
- BSc or higher degree in Computer Science or equivalent System or Software Engineering experience.
- Solid experience in designing & implementing highly available and scalable database infrastructures (preferably MySQL, Galera and PostgreSQL)
- Experience of automating Linux Environments using any automation & configuration management tool (i.e. Chef, Ansible or others)
- Working knowledge of Hadoop, Kafka, Cassandra is a plus.
- Knowledge of a programming language (Ruby, Python, Scala/Java) is a plus.
- Experience working with relevant AWS technologies (EC2, RDS, S3)
- Proficient English language skills.
- A positive mindset and the social skills to work in a highly international and distributed setup, and desire to learn and share your knowledge with your Community of Practice.
- Prompt to laugh. Daily. Multiple times.
An inspiring environment
- The chance to work on a large, highly distributed platform with over 16 million users.
- Varied tasks, uncomplicated interactions with your colleagues as well as many opportunities to bring in your own ideas await you.
- Innovation/hack weeks every few months where you can unleash your creativity and ideas.
- Real training and conferences.
- Health Insurance
- 25 days of vacation per year
- A multicultural environment with employees from all over the world.
- Free breakfast, fruit, drinks, snacks and much more.
- English, German and Portuguese lessons.
- A mobile device for your private use (iPhone, iPad, Android…).
- Competitive salary.
We contribute into open source (https://github.com/xing) and let the world know what we are doing (https://devblog.xing.com) and organize public user groups and coding events.
Your turn: If you think this position is right for you and that you can help us make XING big in Porto, we’d be delighted to talk to you. Simply click below and apply!
If you have any questions please let us know!