Every single day, our ten prestigious brands, products and services help shape the future of work by focussing on people – For a better working life.
While most of our products focus on the German speaking market, our development teams are collaborating from 6 offices across Europe. Our working culture is international, our working language English and you will find a technology-driven environment that enables you to grow professionally.
To us, New Work is more than just a buzzword, which is why you’ll work on products that make a huge difference for millions of members. Join the team and help shape the network for a better working life.
Backend Engineer Scala – (f/m/x) | Xing
Remote Friendly - This business unit offer you the chance to work remotely from anywhere within Portugal.
As part of the NEW WORK SE Group, XING is the social network for your professional life. With over 19 million members from Germany, Austria and Switzerland, professionals from every industry use XING to network, find jobs and gather inspiration about the world of work.
WHAT YOU’LL DO
- A lot of Scala, you will be working on a Scala application in a platform-oriented architecture, and you know the caveats that come with it;
- Prometheus and Grafana for metrics and alerting;
- Code reviews and pairing sessions;
- CI/CD pipelines using Jenkins, deployed to Kubernetes clusters hosted in our data centers in Amsterdam;
- Kafka and RabbitMQ as message queues, the former is now increasingly used for event-driven systems;
- Work with REST APIs;
- Work together with our Data scientists.
WHO YOU ARE
- You care about the craft of software development and strive to build testable, predictable and simple code;
- You want to tackle the engineering challenges that come with building systems at scale (highly available, low latency and high throughput);
- You have a good sense of humour and keep calm in difficult situations;
- You value transparency, honesty, humility and helping your teammates grow;
- You are comfortable working in a cross-functional, professional, distributed team in a highly dynamic and agile development environment.
NICE TO HAVE!!
- If you are a Java software engineer eager to learn Scala this could be also the right job for you;
- Interest in learning new languages. Ruby knowledge would be a plus;
- You have GraphQL knowledge.
WHAT TO EXPECT!!
- The New Work Portugal offers a dynamic environment with flexible working hours and hybrid working system;
- A multicultural environment with employees from over 58 nationalities;
- Annual training allowance - trainings, meetups, conferences, etc;
- Regular events - weekly company meetings, company lunch, team events, seasonal events (eg. Summer & Christmas party);
- Hack weeks every few months;
- New Work Care - a confidential employee assistance program to assist you with personal and/or work-related matters;
- Health Insurance for you and your kids – you can add your partner at a small cost;
- 25 days of annual leave per year + 3 days off (Carnival, Christmas eve and New Year’s eve);
- Language lessons - English, German and Portuguese;
- Employee referral programme - for recommending talent to our company;
- NW Deals club ( discounts club);
- A mobile device for your private use (iPhone, iPad, Android, you choose!);
- Pet friendly office.
Your turn: If you think this position is right for you and that you can help us make New Work big in Porto, we’d be delighted to talk to you. Simply apply below.
Not the right job for you? Don’t worry! You’re more than welcome to send us an unsolicited application!
If you have any questions please let us know!