XING is the social network for business professionals with millions of members and is the leading provider for social recruiting products in the German speaking market.
Ruby on Rails Developer (m/f/d)
While New Work, our mother company, is based in Germany, our development teams are spread across Europe. Our working culture is international, our official language is English, and you will find a technology-driven environment that enables you to grow professionally.
We, the Jobs Business Unit, want to help our users find the best job for them. Our teams are distributed around: Hamburg, Barcelona, Valencia and remotely from Spain and Germany. We use the latest technologies/frameworks (Ruby on Rails, Kotlin, Kafka, GraphQL, Elasticsearch, React, Swift ...) and architectures (microservices, event-driven architecture...).
Do you want to help us to increase our users' job happiness? Help us shape the future – for a better working life!
A challenging task
Engineering at our scale is a significant and rewarding technical challenge. Our production system consists of +180 services of different sizes, posing plenty of challenges.
- You and your Backend peers will be responsible for ensuring availability, developing our testing strategy and the maintainability of our platform by evolving our architecture and tech stack (Ruby on Rails and Kotlin)
- You’ll contribute throughout the entire development lifecycle: from definition and planning to releasing to production and monitoring the live environments, always striving to bring value to our users. We are insight-driven and use monitoring and metrics as the basis of our decisions
- You will take part in the migration, when needed, from our existing Ruby on Rails monolith to Microservices and Event-driven architecture
- You will participate in code reviews, refactoring, and improving integration and delivery systems
- You will be working together with central teams to integrate our project onto the different platforms
- You will support us in our mid- to long-term vision of moving our services to the Cloud (AWS)
- You will work in an agile, cross-functional team in close collaboration with other developers as well as UX designers, the product owner and an agile coach and participate in team ceremonies like stand-up meetings, refinements and retrospectives
A convincing background
- You bring at least 3+ years of production experience in Ruby on Rails (or similar languages/frameworks like Python/Django, PHP/Laravel-Symphony)
- Experience with relational databases (we are mainly using MySQL)
- You are a team player, always eager to help, collaborate and share your knowledge
- You value clean code, pair programming, unit/integration testing, code reviews, etc.
- You write testable, predictable and readable code
- Even though clear code is the best documentation, you can write complementary documentation when needed
- You have a structured and organized approach to problems
- You find a good balance between pragmatic approaches and sustainability
- You pay attention to details without losing sight of the goal, have a sense of ownership and pride in the quality of your work
- You have a learning mindset, are curious and constantly evolving with the technology trends, willing to embrace change
- You have effective communication skills in English and can adapt to either technical or non-technical stakeholders
You have some experience already with:
- Building web APIs (RESTful, GraphQL)
- Docker and Kubernetes
- Event-driven and cloud architectures
- Highly available, low latency and high throughput environment.
- Tools like: Git, JIRA, Jenkins...
- Working in agile environments
An inspiring environment
Check our Twitter account! https://twitter.com/NewWork_es
You can join us in our nice Barcelona or Valencia offices or get a fully remote contract to work from anywhere in Spain.
- The opportunity to work on a large, highly distributed platform with over 20 million users
- Work-life balance is important to us - work from home and flexible hours
- Permanent contract and salary transparency policy
- Budget and time allocated for training, conferences and many opportunities to learn, experiment and grow
- A mobile device of your choice among a list (iPhone, iPad, Android…)
- Restaurant tickets + Flexible Compensation Plan: private Health Insurance / Transport / Nursery Tickets
- Extended holidays. 26 days + 4 days chosen by the company + 24th and 31st of December
- Option to choose summer intensive schedule (“Jornada Intensiva”) from July to August
- Company events and team building opportunities to get to know your colleagues
- Two full HackWeeks per year especially dedicated to unleashing your creativity and ideas or self-education, instead of your regular day-to-day work
- Optional Spanish / English / German / Portuguese lessons
- A referral bonus for recommending talent to our company
- A great, multicultural and diverse environment
- Great offices with coffee, snacks, parking for your bicycle and much more
- Want to bring your pet to the office? No problem at NEW WORK
- Relocation pack, if needed
Our company contributes into open source https://github.com/xing and lets the world know what we are doing at https://devblog.xing.com. We organize public user groups and coding events locally. Check out our XING engineering blog at https://tech.xing.com/.