Backend Engineer Intern (f/m/x)
New Work SE - for a better working life
We believe in a world of work where people can find their true self and achieve their full potential. This not only makes individuals more satisfied and happier, it also makes companies more successful.
Backend Engineer Intern (m/f/x)
Olá Porto! We opened a new tech office in beautiful Porto two years ago and we are looking for great people to join our team!
Every single day, our ten prestigious brands, products and services help shape the future of work by focussing on people – For a better working life. Within the New Work SE and its subsidiaries, you will be part of an organisation with almost 500 amazing developers and a healthy learning culture that involves pair programming, different communities of practice, joint Hack week projects and more. While most of our products focus on the German speaking market, our development teams are collaborating from 6 offices across Europe. Our working culture is international, our working language English and you will find a technology-driven environment that enables you to grow professionally.
A challenging task
- Doing engineering at our scale is a significant and rewarding technical challenge. Our production system consists of 180 services of different sizes, posing plenty of challenges.
- Be part of our software development team in an agile environment.
- Discuss and implement innovative solutions closely with your team as well as internal partners.
- Develop in a high risk area with sensitive data which goes beyond the scope of a standard Ruby on Rails
- Live the full software delivery cycle from planning over implementation to deployment and operation,
- Work on scalable, high-availability services.
A convincing background
- We have offices in various parts of Europe (Hamburg, Munich, Vienna, Barcelona, Porto and, more recently, Valencia). XING employees come from more than 30 different countries and bring their collective experiences and culture to work every day. Some of us studied computer science, while others come from other fields or don't even have a degree-level qualification. The key common ingredient is a willingness to learn and grow.
- You care about the craft of software development and strive to build testable, predictable and simple code.
- You are able to write code in a Ruby on Rails environment.
- You want to tackle the engineering challenges that come with building systems at scale (highly available, low latency and high throughput).
- You are curious and interested in learning new languages and frameworks.
- You have a good sense of humour and keep calm in difficult situations.
An inspiring environment
- The New Work SE offers a dynamic environment, as well as flexible working hours. The New Work SE is heading to more flexibility of working remotely. Our New Mobile Office 50% policy combines both – more flexibility in working outside our Offices & face-to-face collaboration.
- The chance to work on a large, highly distributed platform with over 18 million users
- Varied tasks, uncomplicated interactions with your colleagues as well as many opportunities to bring in your own ideas await you
- Regular events: such as Social Days, company meetings, game nights, tech talks, just to name a few of them.
- Health Insurance for you and your kids – you can still add your partner at a small cost that will be deducted from your monthly salary.
- An Employee Assistance (confidential) Program to assist you with personal problems and/or work-related problems that may impact your job performance, health, mental and emotional well-being
- 2 days of vacation per month + 2 days off (Christmas eve and New Year’s eve)
- A multicultural environment with employees from all over the world, who have various technology backgrounds,
- Free organic fruit, drinks, snacks, newbies special lunches and much more
- Want to bring your pet to the office? No problem at NEW WORK
- Competitive salary
We contribute to open source https://github.com/xing and let the world know what we are doing (https://devblog.xing.com) and organize public user groups and coding events. Check out our XING engineering blog at https://tech.xing.com/.
Your turn: If you think this position is right for you and that you can help us make New Work SE big in Porto, we’d be delighted to talk to you. Simply apply below.
If you have any questions please let us know!