Senior Backend Engineer (m/f/x)
- Full-time employee
XING provides advice and support to its more than 18 million members during the upheaval processes in the world of work. In an environment marked by a shortage of skilled workers, digitalization, and changes in values, XING helps its members achieve as harmonious a work/life balance as possible: For a better working life.
Backend Engineers (m/f/x)
XING, a New Work SE subsidiary, is the leading online business network in German-speaking countries and supports its 16.5 million members in working in line with their way of life and individual preferences. Professionals from every industry connect with one another, look and apply for jobs, and seek inspiration about the latest trends in the world of work. Thanks to the broad news portfolio, XING members can keep their finger on the pulse and discuss the latest developments.
A challenging task:
Doing engineering at our scale is a significant and rewarding technical challenge. Our production system consists of 180 services of different sizes, posing plenty of challenges.
- A lot of Ruby, and increasingly a wide variety of programming languages: Java, Scala, Elixir, PHP and, most recently, Kotlin. We'll match you with the right technology team depending on your background and preferences.
- Prometheus and Grafana for metrics and alerting.
- CI/CD pipelines using Jenkins, deployed to Kubernetes clusters hosted in our data centres in Amsterdam.
- Kafka and RabbitMQ as message queues, the former is now increasingly used for event-driven systems.
- Different databases for different needs: MySQL, Postgres, Cassandra, MongoDB, Elastic Search...
- GraphQL (implemented in Scala & Sangria) for our mobile and web APIs
A convincing background:
We have offices in various parts of Europe (Hamburg, Munich, Vienna, Barcelona, Porto and, more
recently, Valencia). XING employees come from more than 30 different countries and bring their
collective experiences and culture to work every day. Some of us studied computer science, while
others come from other fields or don't even have a degree-level qualification. The key common
ingredient is a willingness to learn and grow.
- you care about the craft of software development and strive to build testable, predictable and simple code,
- you want to tackle the engineering challenges that come with building systems at scale (highly available, low latency and high throughput),
- you are curious and interested in learning new languages and frameworks,
- you have a good sense of humour and keep calm in difficult situations,
- you value transparency, honesty, humility and helping your teammates grow.
An inspiring environment:
- The chance to work on a large, highly distributed platform with over 16 million users.
- Varied tasks, uncomplicated interactions with your colleagues as well as many opportunities to bring in your own ideas await you.
- Innovation/hack weeks every few months where you can unleash your creativity and ideas.
- Annual conference allowances, regular trainings, meetups and brownbag lunches throughout the year, as well as the opportunity to speak at conferences - we'll support you where we can
- Health Insurance
- An Employee Assistance Program to help you with all kinds of personal topics, to ensure you have the support for a better working life
- 25 days of vacation per year + 2 days off (Christmas eve and New Year’s eve)
- A multicultural environment with employees from all over the world, who have various technology backgrounds
- Free breakfast, fruit, drinks, snacks and much more.
- English, German and Portuguese lessons.
- A mobile device for your private use (iPhone, iPad, Android, you choose!).
- Competitive salary.
We contribute into open source (https://github.com/xing) and let the world know what we are doing (https://devblog.xing.com) and organize public user groups and coding events. Check out our XING engineering blog at https://tech.xing.com/.
Your turn: If you think this position is right for you and that you can help us make XING big in Porto, we’d be delighted to talk to you. Simply apply below.
Not the right job for you? Don’t worry! You’re more than welcome to send us an unsolicited application!
If you have any questions please let us know!