Backend Engineers (m/f/x)
- Full-time employee
New Work SE – for a better working life
We believe in a world of work where people can find their true self and achieve their full potential. NEW WORK SE offers a wide range of brands, products and services for a better working life. This not only makes individuals more satisfied and happier, it also makes companies more successful.
Backend Engineers (m/f/x)
XING, a New Work SE subsidiary, is the leading online business network in German-speaking countries and supports its 16.5 million members in working in line with their way of life and individual preferences. Professionals from every industry connect with one another, look and apply for jobs, and seek inspiration about the latest trends in the world of work. Thanks to the broad news portfolio, XING members can keep their finger on the pulse and discuss the latest developments..
XING is now looking to welcome talented backend engineers at all levels (from junior to senior) to join our 300 highly skilled, deeply motivated and dedicated engineers and product developers throughout our various locations in Europe (Hamburg, Barcelona, Valencia, Porto, etc.), sharing a healthy culture of learning from each other via pairing, communities of practice, joint hackweek projects etc.
A challenging task:
Doing engineering at our scale is a significant and rewarding technical challenge. Our production system consists of 180 services of different sizes, posing plenty of challenges.
- A lot of Ruby, and increasingly a wide variety of programming languages: Java, Scala, Elixir, PHP and, most recently, Kotlin. We'll match you with the right technology team depending on your background and preferences.
- Prometheus and Grafana for metrics and alerting.
- CI/CD pipelines using Jenkins, deployed to Kubernetes clusters hosted in our data centres in Amsterdam.
- Kafka and RabbitMQ as message queues, the former is now increasingly used for event-driven systems.
- Different databases for different needs: MySQL, Postgres, Cassandra, MongoDB, Elastic Search...
- GraphQL (implemented in Scala & Sangria) for our mobile and web APIs
A convincing background:
We have offices in various parts of Europe (Hamburg, Munich, Vienna, Barcelona, Porto and, more
recently, Valencia). XING employees come from more than 30 different countries and bring their
collective experiences and culture to work every day. Some of us studied computer science, while
others come from other fields or don't even have a degree-level qualification. The key common
ingredient is a willingness to learn and grow.
- you care about the craft of software development and strive to build testable, predictable and simple code,
- you want to tackle the engineering challenges that come with building systems at scale (highly available, low latency and high throughput),
- you are curious and interested in learning new languages and frameworks,
- you have a good sense of humour and keep calm in difficult situations,
- you value transparency, honesty, humility and helping your teammates grow.
An inspiring environment:
We work in diverse, small and cross-functional teams, and we value the principles underpinning the agile manifesto.
We have offices in various parts of Europe (Hamburg, Munich, Vienna, Barcelona, Porto and, more recently, Valencia). XING employees come from more than 30 different countries and bring their collective experiences and culture to work every day. Some of us studied computer science, while others come from other fields or don't even have a degree-level qualification. The key common ingredient is a willingness to learn and grow.
We try to make working in cross-location teams with as little friction as possible. We believe in flexibility when it comes to choosing when and where you deliver top-notch work.
In your team, you'll not only interact with colleagues who have various technology backgrounds (backend/frontend/iOS/Android engineers), you'll also work with product owners, designers, and data scientists. We work with Scrum or Kanban in our teams (depending on the team's choice), conduct regular retrospectives, and have agile coaches who mentor the team to ensure things are done in line with best practices.
We support continuous learning.
Every engineer at XING has an annual conference allowance. We also offer regular internal training sessions, meetups and brownbag lunches throughout the year, as well as the opportunity to speak at conferences - we'll support you where we can. Other than training sessions, you'll have ample opportunity to grow and learn at work. We work in cross-functional teams, giving you the opportunity to learn and contribute to areas in which you might not yet be an expert. We'll always support you in growing your career, be it moving into a new technology stack, learning leadership skills or gathering enough knowledge in a certain field so as to become an expert.
These training sessions are complemented by fun hack weeks held three times a year where engineers are free to choose whatever they want to work on and learn new technologies. Sometimes they build wacky stuff like arcade machines or karaoke systems. Sometimes they explore many up and coming technologies: using Elm when building frontend applications, implementing parsers using Haskell, exploring Istio for microservices infrastructure, building Ethereum smart contracts using Solidity, and much more...
If you have any questions please let us know!