Data Engineer (m/f/d)
- Full-time employee
XING provides advice and support to its more than 16 million members during the upheaval processes in the world of work. In an environment marked by a shortage of skilled workers, digitalization, and changes in values, XING helps its members achieve as harmonious a work/life balance as possible: For a better working life.
Data Engineer (m/f/x)
XING is the social network for business professionals with millions of members all over the world. Help us shape the future of work – for a better working life!
As an expanding social network, with a focus on bringing value to our users, data is at core of every XING products. Our Data Engineers and Data Scientists work amongst other projects on bringing state-of-the-art algorithms into production, establishing our new A/B testing platform, and/or create highly scalable solutions that serve millions of users. From every-day decision-making to advanced machine-learning based products, XING has invested over the years into its data technology footprint, making use of technologies such as Hadoop (e.g. Hive, Spark), Kafka, Cassandra, Elasticsearch, etc.
XING is now looking to welcome talented data engineers at all level (from junior to senior) to join our 300 highly skilled, deeply motivated and dedicated engineers and product developers throughout our various locations in Europe (Hamburg, Barcelona, Valencia, Porto, etc.), sharing a healthy culture of learning from each other via pairing, communities of practice, joint hackweek projects etc.
A challenging task
- Develop code for processing and analyzing large amounts of data (e.g. unstructured tracking data, large full-text data sets, graph data, etc.).
- Design and implement highly scalable batch or real-time data processing workflows/components and products that make smart use of data to provide data-driven functionality (e.g. search services, recommender services, classification services, etc.), leveraging machine learning, Big Data technology, and distributed systems.
- Build, deploy, monitor and operate services delivery within the XING infrastructure, while enhancing data quality/utility and automating processes.
- Work in a cross-functional team and collaborate closely with Data Scientists and Analysts to support the (technical) design, implementation and evaluation of new algorithms, machine learning models and other data-driven features and services.
- Use technologies like Scala, Kafka, Docker, Kubernetes, Redis, RabbitMQ, Elasticsearch, Cassandra and Hadoop technologies such as Hive, Spark or MapReduce.
A convincing background
- BSc or higher degree in Computer Science or equivalent Software Engineering experience.
- Knowledge (at junior level) or solid experience (at senior level) in implementing scalable software and data-driven services that processes large datasets, using search technologies (e.g., Elasticsearch, Solr, etc.), Big Data technologies (e.g., Spark, Hadoop, etc.), data storages (e.g. relational databases, key-value stores) and related data processing technologies (e.g. Kafka, Akka, Play, etc.), as well as programming languages such as Scala/Java (for real-time and batch processing).
- A test-driven development mindset, and strive for building testable, predictable and simple code. At senior level, proven track-record of building rock-solid data-driven solutions (i.e. fault-tolerant, highly reliable features, solutions that scale regarding volume of data, robustness regarding changing data characteristics, modulable and easily extendable etc.).
- Hands-on experience in analyzing large datasets (e.g. with SQL, Hive, Spark, etc.).
- Some experience in the domain of information retrieval, information extraction or machine learning is a plus.
- Proficient English language skills.
- A positive mindset and the social skills to work in a highly international and distributed setup, and desire to learn and share your knowledge with your Community of Practice.
- Prompt to laugh. Daily. Multiple times.
An inspiring environment
- The chance to work on a large, highly distributed platform with over 14 million users.
- Varied tasks, uncomplicated interactions with your colleagues as well as many opportunities to bring in your own ideas await you.
- Innovation/hack weeks every few months where you can unleash your creativity and ideas.
- Real training and conferences.
- 25 days of vacation per year
- A multicultural environment with employees from all over the world.
- Free fruit, drinks, snacks and much more.
- English and German lessons.
- A mobile device for your private use (iPhone, iPad, Android…).
- Competitive salary.
Check out our XING engineering blog at https://tech.xing.com/
If you have any questions please let us know!