Junior Scala Developer
- Full-time employee
XING provides advice and support to its more than 16 million members during the upheaval processes in the world of work. In an environment marked by a shortage of skilled workers, digitalization, and changes in values, XING helps its members achieve as harmonious a work/life balance as possible: For a better working life.
Junior Scala Developer (m/f/d)
Our Data Science team is responsible for turning data into services and products for New Work SE. Around 25 Data scientists, architects and engineers work together to create highly scalable solutions which serve millions of users. We bring state-of-the-art algorithms into production by making use of technologies such as Hadoop (e.g. Hive, Spark), Akka, Kafka, Cassandra, Elasticsearch, etc. Learn more about our team at: https://bit.ly/data-science-team
At the moment, we are working intensively on projects related to text processing, building pipelines for automated machine learning and enhancing the value/utility of XING's data. Therefore, we are seeking an experienced Scala Developer who helps with the design and development of scalable core components, contributes to building an infrastructure for automated data processing and machine learning and implements advanced algorithms in our services which serve millions of requests per day. If you want to get things done rather than sit in meetings, and if you like helping others and learning from them, you will have fun in our team!
A challenging task
Solve challenging problems in the context of real-time processing, machine learning, Big Data, distributed systems
Write code for processing and analyzing large amounts of data and help designing new services and products
Contribute to infrastructure components which help us enhancing data quality/utility and automating machine learning processes
Implement scalable algorithms and services using technologies such as Scala, Akka, Elasticsearch, Kafka, Cassandra and Hadoop technologies such as Hive, Spark or MapReduce
A convincing background
Good programming skills in Scala or Java and a passion for functional programming.
Knowledge and some experience in working with technologies such as cats, shapeless, Akka, Play, sbt, relational DBs, Kafka, Cassandra, Elasticsearch, Hadoop, etc.
Experience in the domain of information retrieval, information extraction or machine learning is a plus.
BSc or higher degree in Computer Science or similar discipline is a plus.
Proficient English language skills (German is not required).
A positive mindset and the social skills to work in a highly international and distributed setup, and desire to learn and share your knowledge with your Community of Practice.
An inspiring environment
- Training, conferences and many opportunities to learn, experiment and grow.
- A great, multicultural and diverse environment.
- Regular innovation weeks
- Flexible working hours and some days “work from home”
- Restaurant tickets, fresh fruit, coffee, snacks and much more.
- Spanish / English/ German lessons.
- A mobile device of your choice as well for private use (iPhone, iPad, Android…).
- A sunny office located in the centre of Barcelona, with a large terrace.
- Flexible Compensation Plan: Health insurance/ Transport/ Nursery Tickets
- Extended holidays
- Competitive salary and a Permanent contract
- Bicycle park and package reception
- Large, highly distributed platform with over 14 million users.
- A variety of technologies and languages: Perl, Ruby on Rails, Java, Scala, Elasticsearch, REST, React, AMQP, Linux, Hadoop, Riak, MongoDB, MySQL, Solr, iOS, Android, Backbone.js, Git, Jenkins…
- Relocation pack if needed.
We're looking forward to hearing from you!
If you have any questions please let us know!