Senior Backend Developer - Java Kotlin
- Full-time employee
XING provides advice and support to its more than 18 million members during the upheaval processes in the world of work. In an environment marked by a shortage of skilled workers, digitalization, and changes in values, XING helps its members achieve as harmonious a work/life balance as possible: For a better working life.
Senior Backend - Java Kotlin (m/f/d)
We believe in a world of work where people can find their true self and achieve their full potential. This not only makes individuals more satisfied and happier, it also makes companies more successful.
While most of our products focus on the German speaking market, our development teams are collaborating from 6 offices across Europe. Our working culture is international, our working language English and you will find a technology-driven environment that enables you to grow professionally.
XING, a New Work SE subsidiary, is the leading online business network in German-speaking countries and supports its 18 million members in working in line with their way of life and individual preferences. Professionals from every industry connect with one another, look and apply for jobs, and seek inspiration about the latest trends in the world of work. Thanks to the broad news portfolio, XING members can keep their finger on the pulse and discuss the latest developments.
A challenging task
Doing engineering at our scale is a significant and rewarding technical challenge. Our production system consists of 180 services of different sizes, posing plenty of challenges.
- A lot of Java and Kotlin, among a variety of programming languages such as Ruby on Rails, Scala, Elixir, PHP...
- Prometheus and Grafana for metrics and alerting.
- CI/CD pipelines using Jenkins, deployed to Kubernetes clusters hosted in our data centres in Amsterdam.
- Kafka and RabbitMQ as message queues, the former is now increasingly used for event-driven systems.
- Different databases for different needs: MySQL, Postgres, Cassandra, MongoDB, Elastic Search...
- GraphQL (implemented in Scala & Sangria) for our mobile and web APIs
A convincing background
We have offices in various parts of Europe (Hamburg, Munich, Vienna, Barcelona, Porto and Valencia). XING employees come from more than 30 different countries and bring their
collective experiences and culture to work every day. Some of us studied computer science, while
others come from other fields or don't even have a degree-level qualification. The key common
ingredient is a willingness to learn and grow.
- you care about the craft of software development and strive to build testable, predictable and simple code,
- you want to tackle the engineering challenges that come with building systems at scale (highly available, low latency and high throughput),
- you are curious and interested in learning new languages and frameworks,
- you have a good sense of humour and keep calm in difficult situations,
- you value transparency, honesty, humility and helping your teammates grow.
An inspiring environment
Check our Twitter account! https://twitter.com/NewWork_es
- The New Work SE offers a dynamic environment, as well as flexible working hours. Heading to more flexibility of working remotely, our New Mobile Office 50% policy combines both – more flexibility in working outside our Offices & face-to-face collaboration.
- The chance to work on a large, highly distributed platform with over 18 million users
- Varied tasks, uncomplicated interactions with your colleagues as well as many opportunities to bring in your own ideas.
- Innovation/hack weeks every few months where you can unleash your creativity and ideas.
- Training, conferences and many opportunities to learn, experiment and grow.
- Restaurant tickets, coffee and snacks.
- Spanish / English/ German lessons.
- A mobile device of your choice (iPhone, iPad, Android…).
- A great, multicultural and diverse environment.
- A referral bonus for recommending talent to our company
- Want to bring your pet to the office? No problem at NEW WORK
- A sunny office located in the centre of Barcelona, with a large terrace.
- Flexible Compensation Plan: Health insurance/ Transport/ Nursery Tickets
- Extended holidays
- Competitive salary and a Permanent contract
- Bicycle park and package reception
- Relocation pack if needed.
We contribute into open source https://github.com/xing and let the world know what we are doing (https://devblog.xing.com) and organize public user groups and coding events. Check out our XING engineering blog at https://tech.xing.com/.
We're looking forward to hearing from you!
If you have any questions please let us know!