Senior Data Scientist (f/m/x)
- Full-time employee
New Work SE - for a better working life
We believe in a world of work where people can find their true self and achieve their full potential. This not only makes individuals more satisfied and happier, it also makes companies more successful.
Olá Porto! We opened a new tech office in beautiful Porto two years ago and we are looking for great people to join our team!
Every single day, our ten prestigious brands, products and services help shape the future of work by focussing on people – For a better working life.Within the New Work SE and its subsidiaries, you will be part of an organisation with almost 500 amazing developers and a healthy learning culture that involves pair programming, different communities of practice, joint Hack week projects and more. While most of our products focus on the German speaking market, our development teams are collaborating from 6 offices across Europe. Our working culture is international, our working language English and you will find a technology-driven environment that enables you to grow professionally.
Senior Data Scientist (f/m/x)Our team is responsible for turning data into services and products for XING. 5 Data Scientists/Engineers, backed by a Frontend engineer, work together to create highly scalable solutions which serve millions of users. In particular, we work on problems related to network analysis, search, recommender systems, etc. and make use of data mining and machine learning techniques to tackle these problems. We are an international team with people working from Porto, Hamburg and remote.
At the moment, we are working intensively on projects related to reusable recommender systems components, building pipelines for automated machine learning and developing products which help XING users to grow their network. For example, we are currently designing and implementing new ranking models for our contact recommender which is the main service that people use to connect with each other on XING. We are now seeking an experienced Data Scientist who enjoys building sustainable data products that are used by millions of users enabling them to grow and exploit their social network. This includes the development of new algorithms and models, contributing to bringing these algorithms and models to production, conducting A/B tests, proactively analyzing user behavior to improve our data services, etc. If you want to get things done rather than sit in meetings, and if you like helping others and learning from them, you will have fun in our team!
A challenging task
- Design and implement new algorithms and machine learning models for search and recommender services that build the backbone of XING's social network
- Contribute to the development of services, batch processes and stream processing components (using programming languages such as Scala, Python or SQL and technologies like Spark, Kafka, etc.) to ship algorithms to our end users
- Proactively analyze data assets (e.g. contact network, tracking data, profiles, etc.) and experiment to enhance existing services and create new services and products
- Design and implement components in a sustainable fashion (e.g. automating training of ML models; balance between complexity of models, computational costs, ease of use)
- Work in an interdisciplinary context and support Product and Interaction Designers to shape our data-driven networking products
A convincing background
- MSc or higher degree in Computer Science, Math, etc. or alternative education related to statistics, data mining, machine learning and software engineering
- At least three years experience working in the field of Data Science or Data Engineering
- Hands-on experience in analyzing large datasets (e.g. with Python, Hive, Spark or similar) and developing machine learning models
- Deep theoretical and practical knowledge about machine learning and problem domains related to network analysis, search or recommender systems
- Solid programming skills (preferably in Scala/Java or Python) and experience in developing sustainable data services and components that have potential to live on for years
- Proficient English language skills (Portuguese is not required)
An inspiring environment
- The New Work SE offers a dynamic environment, as well as flexible working hours. The New Work SE is heading to more flexibility of working remotely. Our New Mobile Office 50% policy combines both – more flexibility in working outside our Offices & face-to-face collaboration
- The chance to work on a large, highly distributed platform with over 18 million users
- Varied tasks, uncomplicated interactions with your colleagues as well as many opportunities to bring in your own ideas await you
- Innovation/hack weeks every few months where you can unleash your creativity and ideas
- Annual conference allowances, regular trainings, meetups and brownbag lunches throughout the year, as well as the opportunity to speak at conferences - we'll support you where we can, you’ll have an opportunity to unleash your skills and acquire new ones, also with continuous personal feedback
- Regular events: Social days, company meetings, summer & Christmas party, offsite events and lots of fun
- Health Insurance for you and your kids – you can still add your partner at a small cost that will be deducted from your monthly salary
- An Employee Assistance (confidential) Program to assist you with personal problems and/or work-related problems that may impact your job performance, health, mental and emotional well-being
- 25 days of vacation per year + 2 days off (Christmas eve and New Year’s eve)
- Sabbatical - unpaid period of time in which you don’t work and is thus used for recreation.
- A multicultural environment with employees from all over the world, who have various technology backgrounds,
- Free breakfast, organic fruit, drinks, snacks, newbies special lunches and much more
- English, German and Portuguese lessons
- If you’re feeling really sporty, we also have great gym deals, running club and various other protocols
- A mobile device for your private use (iPhone, iPad, Android, you choose!)
- A referral bonus for recommending talent to our company
- Want to bring your pet to the office? No problem at NEW WORK
- Competitive salary
We contribute into open source https://github.com/xing and let the world know what we are doing (https://devblog.xing.com) and organize public user groups and coding events. Check out our XING engineering blog at https://tech.xing.com/.
Your turn: If you think this position is right for you and that you can help us make XING big in Porto, we’d be delighted to talk to you. Simply apply below.
Not the right job for you? Don’t worry! You’re more than welcome to send us an unsolicited application!
If you have any questions please let us know!