(Senior) Data Engineer (m/f/x)
- Full-time employee
XING provides advice and support to its more than 18 million members during the upheaval processes in the world of work. In an environment marked by a shortage of skilled workers, digitalization, and changes in values, XING helps its members achieve as harmonious a work/life balance as possible: For a better working life.
(Senior) Data Engineer (m/f/x)
XING is the social network for business professionals with millions of members all over the world.
Help us shape our Valencian future – for a better working life!
For our Engineering Office in Valencia, we are looking for a Data Engineer.
We already work with more than 500 highly skilled, deeply motivated and dedicated engineers and product developers throughout 5 locations in Europe, including Barcelona and Porto – and we have discovered the same amazing mindset in Valencia! Apart from the terrific location, this is more than enough reason to expand our technology footprint. Join our fast growing cross-functional and international teams in Valencia and have an impact on new products for New Work.
Our Data Science team is responsible for turning data into services and products for New Work SE. Around 25 Data scientists, architects and engineers work together to create highly scalable solutions which serve millions of users. We bring state-of-the-art algorithms into production by making use of technologies such as Hadoop (e.g. Hive, Spark), Akka, Kafka, Cassandra, Elasticsearch, etc. Learn more about our team at: https://bit.ly/data-science-team
At the moment, we are working intensively on projects related to text processing, building pipelines for automated machine learning and enhancing the value/utility of XING's data. Therefore, we are seeking an experienced Data Engineer who helps with the design and development of scalable components related to entity detection, topic modeling, etc., contributes to building an infrastructure for automated machine learning and implements advanced algorithms in our services which serve millions of requests per day. If you want to get things done rather than sit in meetings, and if you like helping others and learning from them, you will have fun in our team!
A challenging task
- Develop code for processing and analyzing large amounts of data (e.g. unstructured tracking data, large full-text data sets, graph data, etc.).
- Design and implement highly scalable batch or real-time data processing workflows/components and products which make smart use of data to provide data-driven functionality (e.g. search services, recommender services, classification services, etc.), leveraging machine learning, Big Data technology, and distributed systems.
- Build, deploy, monitor and operate services within our infrastructure, while enhancing data quality/utility and automating processes.
- Work in a cross-functional team and collaborate closely with Data Scientists and Analysts to support the (technical) design, implementation and evaluation of new algorithms, machine learning models and other data-driven features and services.
- Use technologies like Scala, Python, Kafka, Docker, Kubernetes, Redis, RabbitMQ, Elasticsearch, Cassandra and Hadoop technologies such as Hive, Spark or MapReduce.
A convincing background
- BSc or higher degree in Computer Science or equivalent Software Engineering experience.
- Knowledge and experience in implementing scalable software and data-driven services which processes large datasets, using search technologies (e.g., Elasticsearch, Solr, etc.), Big Data technologies (e.g., Spark, Hadoop, etc.), data storages (e.g. relational databases, key-value stores) and related data processing technologies (e.g. Kafka, Akka, Play, etc.)
- Good programming skills in Scala, Java or Python
- A test-driven development mindset, and strive for building testable, predictable and simple code.
- At senior level, proven track-record of building rock-solid data-driven solutions (i.e. fault-tolerant, highly reliable features, solutions which scale regarding volume of data, robustness regarding changing data characteristics, modulable and easily extendable etc.).
- Hands-on experience in analyzing large datasets (e.g. with SQL, Hive, Spark, Python etc.).
- Some experience in the domain of information retrieval, information extraction or machine learning is a plus.
- Proficient English language skills.
- A positive mindset and the social skills to work in a highly international and distributed setup, and desire to learn and share your knowledge with your Community of Practice.
Please, send your application in English. Thank you
An inspiring environment
For this position, working remotely is also an option (depending on previous experience in working remotely)
Training, conferences and many opportunities to learn, experiment and grow, a great, multicultural and diverse environment, regular innovation weeks, flexible working hours, restaurant card, fresh fruit, coffee, snacks and much more, English/ German lessons, a mobile device of your choice as well, for private use (iPhone, iPad, Android…), extended holiday package, competitive salary and a permanent contract, large, highly distributed platform with over 16 million users, a variety of technologies and languages: Ruby on Rails, Elixir, Go, Scala, Elasticsearch, GraphQL, Java, ReactJS, Cassandra, Hadoop, MySQL, Swift, Kotlin…
Check out our XING engineering blog at https://tech.xing.com/
If you have any questions please let us know!