Senior Data Scientist (f/m/x)
- Full-time employee
New Work SE - for a better working life
We believe in a world of work where people can find their true self and achieve their full potential. This not only makes individuals more satisfied and happier, it also makes companies more successful.
Olá Porto! We opened a new tech office in beautiful Porto two years ago and we are looking for great people to join our team!
Every single day, our ten prestigious brands, products and services help shape the future of work by focussing on people – For a better working life.Within the New Work SE and its subsidiaries, you will be part of an organisation with almost 500 amazing developers and a healthy learning culture that involves pair programming, different communities of practice, joint Hack week projects and more. While most of our products focus on the German speaking market, our development teams are collaborating from 6 offices across Europe. Our working culture is international, our working language English and you will find a technology-driven environment that enables you to grow professionally.
Senior Data Scientist (f/m/x)
At the moment, we are developing a new data-driven product for our platform that will serve millions of users. For this cross-functional standing team, we are looking for another Data Scientist. You will be part of a multidisciplinary team (Data Science, Data Engineering, QA, UX/UI, Frontend, and Backend Engineering), you will build and own this product together with your colleagues. Along with them you will implement Machine Learning models for recommender services, predictions, information extraction components, etc., and integrate them into the product. You will be building our amazing models and recommenders using Python, Scala, and SQL.
Besides the work with the team, you will also collaborate with the central Data Science team. Around 25 Data scientists, architects and engineers work there to create highly scalable solutions. Learn more about Data Science at NEW WORK SE at: https://bit.ly/data-science-team
Therefore, we are seeking an experienced Data Scientist who wants to be working embedded in a product team and contributes to building up an awesome, large-scale data-driven product for NEW WORK SE. If you want to get things done rather than sit in meetings, and if you like helping others and learning from them, and having fun along the way, this is the right team for you!
A challenging task
- Design and implement data processing components, libraries and platform services that ease the development of data-driven components, services and products (e.g. machine learning workflows, search services, recommender services, etc.) and thus help shaping our Data Platform.
- Contribute to the implementation and operation of Data Cataloguing functionality.
- Build, deploy, monitor and operate platform services within the NEW WORK infrastructure while enhancing quality of service and automating processes.
- Help other Data Engineers and Data Scientists to design and implement highly scalable batch or real-time data processing workflows/components, services and products that make smart use of data to provide data-driven functionality (e.g. search services, recommender services, classification services, etc.), leveraging machine learning, Big Data technology, and distributed systems.
- Use technologies like Scala, Python, Kafka, Docker, Kubernetes, Elasticsearch, Cassandra and Hadoop technologies such as Hive, Spark or MapReduce.
A convincing background
- A convincing background BSc or higher degree in Computer Science or equivalent Software Engineering experience.
- Knowledge and solid experience in implementing scalable software and data-driven services that processes large datasets, using Big Data technologies (e.g., Spark, Hadoop, etc.), data storages (e.g. relational databases, key-value stores) and related data processing technologies (e.g. Kafka, Akka, etc.), as well as programming languages such as Scala/Java/Python (for real-time and batch processing).
- A test-driven and service-oriented development mindset, and strive for building testable, predictable and simple code that makes life of fellow Data Engineers/Scientists easy. At senior level, proven track-record of building rock-solid data-driven solutions (i.e. fault-tolerant, highly reliable features, solutions that scale regarding volume of data, robustness regarding changing data characteristics, modulable and easily extendable etc.).
- Experience in building up data platforms, data processing libraries and frameworks or building up data cataloguing functionality is a plus.
- Proficient English language skills.
- A positive mindset and the social skills to work in a highly international and distributed setup, and desire to learn and share your knowledge with your Community of Practice.
- Prompt to laugh. Daily. Multiple times.
An inspiring environment
- The New Work SE offers a dynamic environment, as well as flexible working hours. The New Work SE is heading to more flexibility of working remotely. Our New Mobile Office 50% policy combines both – more flexibility in working outside our Offices & face-to-face collaboration
- The chance to work on a large, highly distributed platform with over 18 million users
- Varied tasks, uncomplicated interactions with your colleagues as well as many opportunities to bring in your own ideas await you
- Innovation/hack weeks every few months where you can unleash your creativity and ideas
- Annual conference allowances, regular trainings, meetups and brownbag lunches throughout the year, as well as the opportunity to speak at conferences - we'll support you where we can, you’ll have an opportunity to unleash your skills and acquire new ones, also with continuous personal feedback
- Regular events: Social days, company meetings, summer & Christmas party, offsite events and lots of fun
- Health Insurance for you and your kids – you can still add your partner at a small cost that will be deducted from your monthly salary
- An Employee Assistance (confidential) Program to assist you with personal problems and/or work-related problems that may impact your job performance, health, mental and emotional well-being
- 25 days of vacation per year + 2 days off (Christmas eve and New Year’s eve)
- Sabbatical - unpaid period of time in which you don’t work and is thus used for recreation.
- A multicultural environment with employees from all over the world, who have various technology backgrounds,
- Free breakfast, organic fruit, drinks, snacks, newbies special lunches and much more
- English, German and Portuguese lessons
- If you’re feeling really sporty, we also have great gym deals, running club and various other protocols
- A mobile device for your private use (iPhone, iPad, Android, you choose!)
- A referral bonus for recommending talent to our company
- Want to bring your pet to the office? No problem at NEW WORK
- Competitive salary
We contribute into open source https://github.com/xing and let the world know what we are doing (https://devblog.xing.com) and organize public user groups and coding events. Check out our XING engineering blog at https://tech.xing.com/.
Your turn: If you think this position is right for you and that you can help us make XING big in Porto, we’d be delighted to talk to you. Simply apply below.
Not the right job for you? Don’t worry! You’re more than welcome to send us an unsolicited application!
If you have any questions please let us know!