Senior Software Engineer - Scala Backend (m/f/x)
- Full-time employee
XING, a New Work SE subsidiary, is the leading online business network in German-speaking countries and supports its 19 million members in working in line with their way of life and individual preferences. Professionals from every industry connect with one another, look and apply for jobs, and seek inspiration about the latest trends in the world of work. Thanks to the broad news portfolio, XING members can keep their finger on the pulse and discuss the latest developments.
Senior Software Engineer - Scala Backend (m/f/x)
XING is the leading online business network with 19 million members in German-speaking countries. Workers from every industry use XING to connect with one another, to look for jobs, new hires, projects, cooperation partners, expert advice and business ideas.
XING employees come from more than 30 different countries and bring their collective experiences and culture to work every day. Some of us studied computer science, while others come from other fields or don't even have a degree-level qualification. The key common ingredient is a willingness to learn and grow.
We have offices in various parts of Europe (Hamburg, Munich, Vienna, Barcelona, Porto and, more recently, Valencia). For our New Work Harbour Office in Hamburg, we are looking for a Senior Backend Software Engineer (Scala) to support the growth of a consolidated, cross-functional team.
At the moment, we are developing a new product for our platform that will serve millions of users. You will build and own this product together with your colleagues (Data Science, Frontend and Backend Engineering, QA, UX). Therefore, we are seeking an experienced Backend Engineer who wants to be working embedded in a product team and contribute to building up an awesome, large-scale product. If you'd like to be part of a great team that has both impact and fun, join us now!
A challenging task
- You provide robust and sustainable Software for a high-volume application.
- Performance of our applications is key, and you will be responsible for providing a backend that also serves our power-users quickly and reliably.
- While backend is your main focus, you will have close discussions with experts in other technologies in how to structure the applications you’re responsible for.
- You’ll work in a cross-functional, professional, distributed team in a highly dynamic and agile development environment.
- You actively participate in iteratively improving our collaboration and processes.
- You collaborate with people of different roles, backgrounds, preferences and skills, and you contribute to the success of the company.
- You discuss and implement innovative solutions in close cooperation with product owners and designers.
- You will be working with our tech stack:
- Prometheus and Grafana for metrics and alerting.
- CI/CD pipelines using Jenkins, deployed to Kubernetes clusters hosted in our data centers in Amsterdam.
- Kafka and RabbitMQ as message queues, the former is now increasingly used for event-driven systems.
- Scala 2.12, Akka, Cats, Slick FRM, Specs2.
- Databases: MySQL, Postgres, Redis.
- Machine-learning: XGBoost, Hive.
- Logging & monitoring: Graylog, Prometheus, Grafana.
- GraphQL (implemented in Scala & Sangria) for our mobile and web APIs.
A convincing background
- Profound backend skills: You will be working on a Scala application in a service-oriented and event-driven architecture, and you know the caveats that come with it like the back of your hand.
- Knowledge of Ruby, in particular, would be a plus.
- You are comfortable working in distributed team setups.
- The motivation to learn and improve development processes.
- Automated testing, clean code and code coverage is just as important to you as production code.
- Willingness to coach and mentor other developers.
- You're into agile methodologies and enjoy working in teams with a focus on sharing knowledge.
- A positive mindset and the people skills to work with various people in various positions.
- You are curious and interested in learning new languages and frameworks.
- You have a good sense of humor and keep calm in difficult situations.
- You value transparency, honesty, humility and helping your teammates grow.
- You get things done and are known as a motivated team player with good communication skills in English.
- You are culturally open: XING employees come from all over the world and bring their collective experiences and culture to work every day. We value each and every person for who they are.
An inspiring environment
The New Work SE offers a dynamic environment. As well as flexible working hours, you’ll have an opportunity to unleash your skills and acquire new ones. We offer a wide range of training courses in addition to German, English and Spanish lessons, regular team and offsite events, and lots of fun. We also provide free drinks and organic fruit as well as a ProfiTicket public transport ticket, restaurant vouchers and travel insurance. And let’s not forget the smartphone or iPad that you can use privately. You’ll also be provided with a high-end Macbook Pro, and our offices have table football tables. If you’re feeling really sporty, we also have great gym deals, and various other benefits….
If you have any questions please let us know!